Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Slow Death by Rubber Duck

I just finished reading a very interesting book called Slow Death by Rubber Duck. Rick Smith and Bruce Lourie are a couple of well known Canadian environmentalists who decided to go about testing a range of household goods on themselves (in a way that we would normally be exposed to them) to try to measure the effects they have on their bodies. They also bring up the history and prior studies of Teflon Town, triclosan, mercury and many other commonly used ingredients in our day to day lives. I  have to say I was a bit reluctant to read the book as I wondered whether it might feel like a hopeless cause to try to improve anything - but the book is easy too read without too much technical jargon and the last chapter is devoted to detoxing - and simple ways to make a difference in your own life today. I highly recommend it - you will never look at non-stick frypans and tuna the same way again!

 

Now if you'll excuse me - I'm off to trade in my old plastic food containers for some glass ones...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...